HENRY E. ROHLSEN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT UPDATED SCENERY PROJECT
[UPDATED AS NEW INFO IS DISCOVERED]
Henry E. Rohlsen Airport is a public airport located six miles (10 km) southwest of Christiansted on the island of St. Croix in the United States Virgin Islands. The airport is named after Henry E. Rohlsen, a St. Croix native who was one of the Tuskegee Airmen during World War II.
It is a small international airport that hosts mainly inter-Caribbean flights. The airport, which was a hub for Aero Virgin Islands in the 1970s and 1980s, has the capability to receive jets up to the size of the Boeing 747s. Prior to 1996 the airport was known as Alexander Hamilton International Airport, and was renamed that year.
This is my second US based airport i've done, St.Thomas (TIST) being my first. This airport was slightly less challenging compared to it's sister (TISX) but was still interesting to tackle. I tried my best to put objects together creatively to give the main terminal close to 85% accuracy to the real thing :) Like my other projects, no modeling was done. Just objects in the sim creatively put together.
I have been getting a few requests for this airport and now here it is. Hope you like and enjoy!
Open and extract "lexpro-St. Croix_updated_scenery_project_v1.0" (or the version name you choose to download) to your prefered location on your PC, then unZip and open the folder and copy "Henry_E_Rohlsen_Updated_Scenery_Project" folder into where your Community folder is located, then start the sim and go to TISX - Henry E. Rohlsen Airport. That's it!
Each time I upload an updated version here, just replace the same "Henry_E_Rohlsen_Updated_Scenery_Project" folder in your Community folder to update the scenery. Make back ups to the old folders if necessary.
DETAILED UPDATED FEATURES TO DEFAULT SCENERY (V1.0) - TISX:
- - Started from scratch and deleted everything except the default terminal building and a few surrounding buildings.
- - Stratigically placed very specific scenery objects from the sim library around the default building to try match the design structure IRL.
- - Made some corrections to the surrounding terrain and elevation of the Airport. A bit challenging but managable in the end.
- - Added runway/lights, PAPI lights, aprons, taxi lights, taxi ways, taxiway signs, ''wear n' tear'' textures, ground markings and a couple dark painted color lines exactly like IRL.
- - Edited airport taxiway data so ATC properly directs you to and from your parking location.
- - Added and created heavily detailed 'wear n' tear' and layered textures to main apron of terminal building as well as some extra layered textures to taxiways to give a more 'used' feel.
- - Recreated all 'Hold short' numbering designs and markings as well as 90% of the runway markings with layered 'wear n' tear' textures.
- - Added one extra Windsock where it is IRL
- - Added lights to windsocks to see them at night.
- - Edited service vehicle data so they drive on the designated roads they are to drive on and not all over the taxiways and runway. [I cannot stop them from parking in your parking space as the creators pre-programed them by default to do so. I can only re-rout their way unfortunenately]
- - Added 4 anntenas in various places.
- - Added and placed creatively some objects around the default control tower to simulate the unique design it has IRL.
- - Replaced a few default buildings with some from the library to keep up to date with whats there presently
- - Added Airport lights around the airport.
- - Added extra lighting under the Airport terminal roofing that was added. Also added lighting to any surrounding buildings in the area including many different default buildings replaced from the library, the several tanks on the Eastern side ahead of the runway by the terminal docks and express storage area. Also lighting on a few boats and cruiseships.
- - Added and replaced some default tank structures in the storage express area with proper more details ones from the library.
- - Added static aircraft\service vehicles with some animated Marshalls\Workers surrounding them.
- - Randomly placed Marshalls/Workers around the Airport in general.
- - Added barbwire fencing around parts of the Airport like IRL. Also added additional fencing in certain areas within the airport.
- - Added many vehicles in the area including the main parking lot [work in progress]. Also added some animated vehicles on the road.
- - Added and placed some stones in various areas like IRL.
- - Added many more trees/plants/grass, auto-gen trees in general areas close to and surrounding the Airport.
- - Added some boats and ferries in the surrounding area
- - Added 2 small red and white checkered buildings with antennas, one near to Runway 10 and one at the end of Runway 28 for the localizer like IRL
- - Added many street lights and wooden lamp posts and other scattered scenery objects around the airport in general.
Thats all for now. More to come in every version update. Do enjoy this on going project which takes a great deal of time and effort. Feel free to leave any comments after you've flown around. Have fun flying and see you in the Sim world :)